It’s easy to become bored eating the same old salad, and it happens more often than we think. That’s precisely why we decided to look at Fitness Magazine‘s Kale and Apple Salad! Not only is it delicious but it’s loaded with superfoods.
Firstly, the salad has kale which is loaded with iron, calcium, fiber, and vitamins A, C, and K. And if you’re not a kale fan because you dislike its toughness, there’s a way around that. All you need to do (it sounds weird but it works) is massage the kale for a few minutes with oil and vinegar dressing.
Now the second part of the salad, apples! Apples are rich with antioxidants and fiber. Granny Smith apples in particular are perfect for this recipe, but feel free to use any apple you’d like.
Then there’s the out-of-the-box ingredient: pistachio hemp clusters. Not familiar with what pistachio hemp clusters are? That’s okay, just know that they are filled with heart-healthy ingredients and essential fatty acids. As soon as you add cinnamon and honey to the recipe, your taste palates will go through the roof. Are you ready? Check out the recipe below and you’ll be the envy at lunch time!
Kale and Apple Salad with Pistachio Hemp Clusters:
Note: Makes two to four servings.
– 1 bunch of kale (about 8 cups when finely chopped)
– 1 large Granny Smith apple
– ½ cup shelled pistachios
– 2 ounces crumbled feta cheese
– 3 tablespoons hemp hearts
– ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
– 2 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
– 2 tablespoons + 2 teaspoons honey
– Juice from ½ lemon
– ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
– ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt + more to taste
1. To create the pistachio hemp clusters, make sure you cover a plate with parchment paper. Then roughly chop the pistachios. Place them inside of a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Add in hemp hearts, cinnamon, and a pinch of sea salt. Then dry roast for five minutes, tossing occasionally.
2. Add two tablespoons of the honey in the saucepan, stir to evenly combine.
3. Remove the mixture from the heat and transfer to the pre-made parchment paper-lined plate. Press the mixture into the plate with either a spoon or your hands. Allow it to cool while you go ahead and prep the rest of the salad.
4. Wash the kale and remove the tough stems. Make sure to thinly slice the kale, and then place it inside of a large bowl.
5. Make the dressing by simply squeezing the lemon juice into a small bowl. Next add in olive oil, white balsamic vinegar, honey, and ¼ teaspoon of sea salt. Whisk together.
6. Pour the dressing on top of the kale you sliced up. Begin to massage the kale by grabbing a bunch at a time, squeezing and rubbing it together with your hands. Continue to massage the kale for at least five minutes.
7. Finely dice the apple and then add to the kale bowl. Add in the delicious crumbled feta cheese.
8. Once the hemp and pistachio mixture has cooled, break it off into clusters onto the place, and add them to the salad. Add sea salt for taste.
9. Need we remind you to start eating immediately? Didn’t think so. Enjoy!